The Sermon on the Mount is practical instructions for living a life for those who PRIORITIZE eternal things, not TEMPORARY things.
Notice: If you are NOT a follower of Jesus Christ and His teachings, you will have a difficult time understanding today’s message because it focuses on ETERNAL VALUE.
Key Scripture Passage:
Matthew 6:21 (ESV) “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
A TREASURE is an abundance of something that is in itself, at least in our opinion, precious and valuable.
Something to Think About…
As Christ followers, we must pursue KINGDOM PERSPECTIVES, including unswerving loyalty to KINGDOM VALUES. This means our time, talent, and treasure will be invested on eternal things, not temporal things.
We must remember Christ does not desire to deprive us of our treasure, He desires to direct us in the choice of it.
Treasures of earth are temporary and we should learn not to covet them, make them our hope, or let them become the focus for happiness.
Worldly treasure corrupts, decays, is stolen, and is unsatisfying.
Heavenly treasure is eternal, brings joy, is protected by God, and is satisfying.
Mark 8:36-37, NKJV
“For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
INVEST: to put money or effort into something to make a profit or achieve a result.
Three items everyone invests:
TIME, TALENT, TREASURE.
No man can serve two masters, much less two gods; for their commands will some time or other cross or contradict one another, and their occasions interfere. While two masters go together, a servant may follow them both; but when they part, you will see to which he belongs; he cannot love, and observe, and cleave to both as he should.
Mammon is a Syriac word that signifies gain; so that whatever in this world is, or is accounted by us to be, gain, is Whatever is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life, is mammon.
- Give me your heart
- Be content with what you have
- Be charitable/give
- Keep the Sabbath day Holy
Money (mammon) says:
- No, give me your heart.
- Cheat your parents if it gets you ahead
- Hold on to what you have for you
- Use the Sabbath day like all other days for the world
How can we invest with eternity in mind?
- Know Jesus as personal Lord and Savior. (John 3:16)
- Become debt free (not a slave to the lender.) (Proverbs 22:7)
- Spend quality time with your spouse and children. (Ephesians 6:1-4)
- Tithe – God tells us to give 10% of time, talent, and treasure. Obey! (Malachi 3:10; Luke 6:38)
- Give charitably – over and above your tithe- time, talent, treasure. God loves a cheerful giver. (2 Corinthians 9:7)
- Serve others using the gifts and talents God has given you. (1 Peter 4:10)
Chorus to the song TREASURE (written by Gary Chapman)
There’s a TREASURE at the end
Of this narrow road I’m traveling.
And it gives me a purpose for life.
Jesus is my TREASURE,
He’s the reason why I’m living.
And He’s gonna be my reason when I die.
Is Jesus your TREASURE? Make Him your TREASURE today! Invest your time, talent, and treasure with an eternal perspective.
CLIP ON AND CLIMB!