The Blessed Benefits of Being a Believer – The 23rd Psalm
Psalm 23:1-6 (ESV); John 10:1-11, 27 (ESV)
Pastor Rich Lancaster
August 3, 2014
Psalm 23:1–6 (ESV)
Shepherd- The occupation of a shepherd was both humble and honorable.
What a comforting thought it is for a child of God to know that he has the Great Shepherd watching over him.
I. The Lord is a personal Shepherd (Psa. 23.1-3).
II. The Lord is a protecting Shepherd (Psa. 23.4).
III. The Lord is a providing Shepherd (Psa. 23.5-6).
John 10:1–11 (ESV)
Each of the OT names for God is seen in this psalm:
- Jehovah-Jireh, “The Lord will provide” (Gen. 22:13–14)
- Jehovah-Rapha, “The Lord will heal or restore” (Ex. 15:26)
- Jehovah-Shalom, “The Lord our peace” (Jud. 6:24)
- Jehovah-Tsidkenu, “The Lord our righteousness,” (Jer. 23:6)
- Jehovah-Shammah, “The Lord is there,” (Ezek. 48:35)
- Jehovah-Nissi, “The Lord our banner” (Ex. 17:8–15)
- Jehovah-Raah, “The Lord my shepherd” (Ps. 23:1)
John 10:27 (ESV)
Can you honestly say “the Lord is my Shepherd”?
You may know the 23rd Psalm, but do you know the Good Shepherd? If not, will you ask Christ to be your Shepherd today?